top of page

More Organizing Ideas

*This post may include affiliate links and if you make a purchase we will receive a small monetary commission, however, this will not in any way affect the price you pay.  We only specifically name products that we have personally used and believe to be good products, to the best of our knowledge and experience.  Thank you for supporting our blog.

Simple & Stylish Small Window Privacy Project for Under $25

**FTC Disclaimer: This post also contains affiliate links and I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on my links.

With the existing front door window curtain tattered and torn from both age and washing, it was time to come up with a new solution for this small window. I was looking for something that would offer privacy but still allow some much-needed sunlight into the house and, at the same time, be simple and stylish.

After scouring the internet and browsing a few stores for some ideas, this is what I came up with:

Of course, the first step was to determine my goals:

  • daytime privacy

  • nighttime privacy

  • allow sunlight in

Next, I measured the window and noted it in my phone for whenever I would be out at the store looking at related items.

What I purchased:

  • static-cling privacy film (Home Hardware $8)

  • small silver curtain rod (Bed, Bath & Beyond $4)

  • one white faux-suede curtain panel (Giant Tiger $10)

Tools required:

  • pencil

  • ruler

  • scissors

  • plastic paint scraper (dollar store)

  • screw driver

  • iron & ironing board

  • heat-activated hem tape (Michael's)

Before getting started, I gave the window a good wipe down and allowed it to dry.

I've been able to find window privacy cling film at the dollar store previously but this time around I could not find it. So I found this alternative at Home Hardware, which I must say was a great value (at around $8) and there was plenty left over.

I opened the roll slightly and held it up to the window to measure the size of piece I would need, marked it with a pencil, drew a line down the rest of the length of the film with a ruler, then cut it out.

Next, I carefully unpeeled the paper lining from the film and applied to the window. It was pretty static-clingy, so it took a few times removing it and redoing it before I was happy with it. I carefully used a plastic paint scraper to push out any air bubbles underneath, starting around the middle and pushing out toward the edges.

I did the top half of the window first, then added a second piece to the bottom half of the window, because the roll just wasn't long enough to cover the entire window. The line in the middle where the two pieces meet is only slightly noticeable and hopefully people at the door won't notice it unless they're really looking for it.

Next, I attached the curtain rod. It was a bit of a challenge to find a rod small enough but I finally found this one in the clearance section at Bed, Bath & Beyond for only $4.00. I specifically chose silver to match the existing hardware on the front door.

To install the rod, I marked the holes with a pencil, started a slight indent with the screwdriver to put the screws into and screwed them in to the top of the window frame.

Finally, it was time to add the curtain. I found this one at Giant Tiger on sale for $10.00.

This curtain had large grommets which were way too large for this particular curtain rod, so I really just purchased this curtain for the fabric with plans to make my own curtain size and pocket rod slit.

Luckily, when I checked the bottom end of these curtains I found there was already a slit inside the bottom seam, just big enough to fit the rod through.

I hung the curtain on the rod through the slit to assess the length I would need. I wanted these curtains to be just slightly longer than the window, with enough extra fabric to allow for creating a new seam along the bottom.

I marked where I wanted to cut with binder clips and brought the panel over to the ironing board. I cut the curtain horizontally to the length I had marked.

Then I folded a small seam along the new bottom edge where I had cut, with the heat-activated hem tape to seal, using heat from the iron.

Next, I cut the panel vertically down the middle to make it into two curtains and hemmed that as well.

I hung the curtains back onto the rod and was finished.

Although I had achieved the goal I had in mind, having the curtains just hanging there was missing a little something. I just happened to find these white shoe laces lying around and they were a perfect solution for tiebacks.

Now we have the privacy we were seeking on our small window, that allows the bright sunlight in, with curtains that can be drawn at night for extra privacy, and the added bonus of a little bit of insulation from the cold.

Although I ultimately chose this method, I came across a few alternatives on my search that I also wanted to share:

More ideas for fabric to make window curtains:

For more Bright and Breezy tips and inspiration, check out our other blog posts or subscribe for immediate updates.

bottom of page